Death Cloud of Death, the first Welcome to Pixelton Game

Introducing the first faux retro “Welcome to Pixelton” flash game, Death Cloud of Death.

Death Cloud of Death Flash Game Graphic

This was my first complete Flash based game and I really had a blast. It is far from great, but I hope you’ll find it to be a humorous little distraction overflowing with love. The goal was to walk the line between making an ode to 8-bit but still being funny. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The goal is to survive the onslaught of falling blocks and rising water. The higher you climb the cooler person you are (or technocally Kirby is, but let’s be honest here…). Do you have what it takes to outlast an cloud gone mad?

In this early state it is without leaderboards but in the next day those should be live. You’ll be able to compete with other users from around the world to see who can climb colorful blocks the best. The suspense is killing you, I can feel it…

[This is a preview build that still needs tweaks. I'm currently shopping it around to see if any of the cool flash sites would want to host Kirby and his new friend. At that time I'll pull this version and let everyone know where this and any future Pixelton games might live. Fingers crossed!]

CLICK HERE TO PLAY THE DANG GAME ALREADY

Excited about finishing up the next comic!

17 insightful ideas to “Death Cloud of Death, the first Welcome to Pixelton Game”

Cool game Josh, I loves wasting some time on Flash games. I’ve already bookmarked it so I’ll have easy access to time wastage.

2. AvatarJoshie McFarkas the III

Thanks Mr Tub! :D

I somehow broke it last night at 3am and spent a few hours making the boxes be deadly again. Nothing worse then making a mistake that you have no clue how to fix.

Good stuff! Although another interesting way to be unproductive is just what I don’t need right now. :) Still, I can see myself playing this a lot in the next few days.

My only criticism would be that the jumping could use a bit of motion easing so it’s more of a smooth arc, which would make the gameplay slightly better (I think they only implemented motion easing in Flash CS3). Still, totally awesome. I especially like how the cloud has Kirby’s blood all over its face at the end. It reminds me of me when I eat a discarded 8-bit hero who was trying to escape the rain I am making. Which is often.

4. AvatarJoshie McFarkas the III

Ha, ha – thanks Middlerun! I agree that it needs some sort of physics system as Kirby’s jump is silly right now. I appreciate your thoughts. :)

5. Avatarnate "the aruably" great

I can’t help but believe that this is better than 90% of the current wii catalog and completely PWNS the PS3′s.

6. Avatarnate "the aruably" great

PS. – seriously.

wait wait wait? theres a flash game for pixelton now?!?!?! why didn’t I become informed of this sooner?

8. AvatarBug

very sweet. Very hard, too…the double jump is hard to control and sometimes there will not be enough blocks to even possibly stay afloat. Maybe you could add some way of affecting the rate of block spawning?

9. AvatarBug

i.e. powerups, timed button presses, something new and exciting

10. AvatarJoshie McFarkas the III

i.e. powerups, timed button presses, something new and exciting

Awesome ideas bug. I don’t know how but I’ll see if I can get power-ups to work. That would be very fun and skill based as opposed to chance right now.

Does the Death Cloud of Death have an ending or is it just endless up-ness? I got to 750 as my best. It becomes annoying when the tower (which I have dubbed the Death Tower) keeps getting built when you’re stuck on a lesser stub of the tower. Maybe high-jump and and teleportation would make for good powerups?

By the way, I would suggest putting textures on those random blocks, or at least make those white borders thicker, because that would help to keep the 8-bit illusion going. I dunno, maybe you can give them faces and they can be Fil’s cousins or something :P

12. AvatarBug

woo, got to 827 ft…

I think I know what the deal is with the double jump. It only registers a jump if the up button and no other button is pressed.

Oh yeah, and maybe map WASD in parallel with arrows? I wear my right hand out a lot with mousing + racquetball, so I use my left hand alone as much as I can otherwise.

13. AvatarJoshie McFarkas the III

You got it Bug! The double jump only works at straight up, but on left or right you fall. It was an error at first but I kind of like it. It makes the double jump really hard to use but when donw well the only way to keep climbing.

Each time I play I can get over 2,000 feet right now before I get careless…

Love the high jump idea Kree. And your thoughts on the blocks are right on too. I’m going to try something I did originally, and not have them outlined. Since they are the same color as the backgrounds it is much harder….but I’ll pull back how aggressive the water is too….

14. AvatarBug

Don’t think it has an ending…I got to 1016 this time and nothing special happened. Still pretty dang fun.

15. AvatarJoshie McFarkas the III

Oh, sorry about not answering that: It doesn’t have an ending.

The goal is to get a highscore, and have the cloud mock you at the same time. But Mochi Leaderboards don’t seem to be working on my end. Boo.

Need to get the leaderboards up and these tweaks live this weekend!

And it doesn’t look like any of the cool flash sites want to buy rights to this game. :( Can’t blame them but it was a fun dream while it lasted.

Oh, but WASD should be no prob to add in! Consider it done.

16. AvatarBug

Yay, glitch time!

floating castles: http://flickr.com/photos/24306752@N03/2334479600/
    Sometimes happens if you gain a lot of height quickly: a block probably spawns right above or on top of another falling block. Should be trivial to fix…in your collision detection function, just make sure that that what ever a block lands on is either ground, or an already stopped block, before stopping it.

The second one is quite strange. Right-click the app in the middle of gameplay and select “Play”, then start again. Two blocks will fall a a time, instead of one. This makes the above glitch easier to reproduce, and frankly also the game, to a degree. It can be repeated, too.

Finally note that I have no Flash experience, so I’m basing my diagnosis on educated guesses, and a bit of game dev on other platforms.

17. AvatarJoshie McFarkas the III

BUG. IS. AWESOME.

Thanks so much! Wonderful (horrible glitchy) finds. Hopefully I can address these this weekend. :D