Obscure Game Music to make you Smile (and my love for an inanimate cube)

portal companion cube comic

I beat Portal a few days back and I should make it very clear that I LOVE PORTAL. When you beat it they make you sign a waiver saying you will love it. The waiver is short but deadly, and I recommend you bring your own pen. Portal’s impact on me was especially ripe since it was my first Valve game. I hear these guys are quite popular.

It is only 3 hours, but somehow Portal has entranced everyone who has seen it in a warm little cocoon of sarcasm. It really is pure joy pressed to disk. Oh yes, and then you get free versions of Half-life 2, HL2 Episode:1, HL2 Episode:2, and a game called Team Fortress 2. Lots of twos. I bet this game was sponsored by the two. And with a subsidy of the word “Free”.

[If you think things like screenshots count as spoilers don't read the below or read it and then hate me for eternity because I comprimised your sacred journey.]

But there is a great lil song at the end of Portal. Nothing major but nice. I can’t stop listening to it. If interested press the white gaps within this text but not the text itself. Untold horrors could have occurred had you clicked the text. Kind of a bad place, I know.

And it reminded me of the absolute best song ever made for a game which not many folks know about. It was Shiny’s last good game, and it was called Skull Monkeys. It involved claymation and platforming and many a lava pit, but the memorable part were the bonus rounds. And all because of THIS SONG SUNG BY A CREEPY NARRATOR. (As before click the white space and not the text otherwise we’re all dead. K thx.)

screenshot_8.png

And for anyone else that has finished this thing, nothing says macho man like having a paper companion cube at your desk. Oh yeah!

(Also, new comic for tomorrow. Don’t tell the cube I told you!)

7 insightful ideas to “Obscure Game Music to make you Smile (and my love for an inanimate cube)”

1. Avatarndogg550

First Post!!!! LOL

I am intrigued by Portal, and once I hear that they have fixed online lag code for Team Fortress 2, I may be going a bit orange myself.

Ohh how I wish I were not so poor, because I would buy the Orange Box so fast. Portal looks like such an awesome game.

Should get it tomorrow or Monday. I’ll probably play that before Half Life.

4. Avatarno.good.at.coding

…nothing says macho man like having a paper companion cube at your desk.

Let’s not forget the pink hearts on it! Pink! Hearts! Pink hearts! ( I think that should drive home the point :D )

P.S. I’ve no idea what Portal is. On my way to Wikipedia now.

Yeah I was pretty befuddled by this post until I checked Wikipedia, the source of all knowledge (including carnal knowledge) to see what this Portal thing is. Now my Demonoid ratio is about to take another battering I think.

I must say that I too know the thrill of cubelove. I once had a fling with a sexy little Rubik’s cube, but we eventually broke up. We had a real personality clash – I never could figure her out.

6. Avatardum dum

he’s maaaaad poor unicorn

7. AvatarSko P? Nett New Balance New Balance 574 Joggesko Dame Bl?

In this grand scheme of things you’ll receive a B- just for effort and hard work. Where you confused me personally was first in your facts. As people say, details make or break the argument.. And it couldn’t be more accurate right here. Having said that, permit me tell you exactly what did do the job. The article (parts of it) is definitely quite convincing and this is probably the reason why I am taking an effort to comment. I do not make it a regular habit of doing that. Next, while I can see the leaps in reasoning you come up with, I am not really sure of exactly how you appear to unite the ideas which in turn make the final result. For now I will, no doubt subscribe to your position but trust in the foreseeable future you actually link your dots much better.