September 30th, 2007

Career Change – Maiden Voyage – Pt 4

I’m so behind last week that I’m early for next week. Dang! Apologies to anyone that was interested in the nifty articles. All of last week’s items are still coming in a nicer form. No more weekly lists for a while though as they seem to be bad mojo for actually completing them. I think I’m too impulsive. :P

Please see the continued adventures of Fil as a Tree Pirate above. The little guy is growing up so much. *sniff* Looks like the pirate tree awoke and is moving now. Kinda strange. If you are wondering what the heck happened before this click this time travel text, which will transport you to the beginning of the Career Change storyline! Or possibly even father. And you might not be able to get back. Ever. Just click already.

Do you ever hate your own taste? That is why this strip took so long, that and the fact that it is very large. I stared at the whole page for so long trying to figure out just one thing to dislike, but I ended up with a list that points back to my tacky tastes. Hmm. It is one thing when I can’t dress myself like an adult but I don’t enjoy when this extends to what I create! I tend to hate everything I do until I’m “done” and then I can relax somewhat, but not this bad boy.

This one is for Harlequin making me laugh on every comment you’ve made. :D

Isn’t it strange how we all have Matrix names now? Ten years ago I never would have guessed that we’d be mostly known by these self-brands but here we are rocking out with robot names. I’m always impressed by everyone’s name here for being so creative. I wonder, where did your names come from? Mine is WaterMedia everywhere which is excessively boring. But the gist is pulled from the Bruce Lee quote below (I’d like to add I get a boring word score with double points for geeky idol reference) :

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

Thanks very much for reading everyone! Ideas, suggestions, hate mail? Feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email and I shall flow accordingly. More stuff coming tonight!

22 insightful ideas to “Career Change – Maiden Voyage – Pt 4”

I can’t decide if my method of choosing a nickname is inspired or incredibly unimaginative. A pun-tastic choice of “Kree the Creator”, or just “Kree” for short. I seem to have an inexplicable affinity for the letter K when naming things. It eventually became “Kree the Basilisk” after I glared at people a lot (or at least as much as you can “glare” over the medium of text).

Oddly enough, “Kree” isn’t very unique in the land of the interweb. It belongs to a race of Marvel comic aliens, a sidekick bird in a children’s book series, and I also suspect I loose a lot of username registrations to girls with the initials K.R.

“This one is for Harlequin making me laugh on every comment you’ve made. :D

Holy crap my evil plan of amusing you and myself has paid off in ways I never foresaw. And now, your reward! An explanation of my username. Most people assume it’s based on Harley Quinn from the Batman series, but this is actually lies and slander! (Although she IS a cutie.) In super-old-timey Italian theater, before there were dinosaurs or Bigfoot or even Dick Cheney, Harlequin was a common character in operas and plays. He showed up randomly, sometimes just as a narrator, and sometimes he’d interact with the main characters. He was always kind of weird and annoying, though. So when I found this out, I decided it was a fitting username for myself! :D It also just plain sounds cool, so I can use it when I’m writing my own stuff. (Yes, I’m a writer. But this is about your comic, so we won’t go into that.) And now you know… the REST of the story. I’m Harlequin, and this has been Abraham Lincoln: Werewolf President.

…wait, what?

3. Avatarno.good.at.coding

Solve for x and show your work!

Made me laugh out loud :D

My screen name? Um, no story behind it; I am what it says :/

@Harlequin: AFAIK, the Batman character was, in fact, named after the Harlequin of yore.

Yep, that’s true. But there are people who think that the Batman character was the originator of the name, which is in no way true. That’s what I meant to say, sorry I wasn’t clearer! ^_^;;

I love Cornmuffin, he cracks me up.
    As for my user name, nothing really exciting to report. I started using it back when Xbox live launched as my gamertag and it’s just stuck. I just made it up though, I thought it just sounded cool. I wish I was creative enough to make up a better story. lol

6. Avataradmin

Ha, ha – I love everyone’s name origins. We all need to wear capes now and walk in slow motion to techno music.

Waka – waka – waka – waka – [cool origin story pose]

( Hmm…the above is either horrid techno or a pacman influenced rap)

Kree: Wow, Kree the Basilisk is great. I need to take your advice and differentiate a bit from any potential contenders by adding a terrifying adjective. How’s WaterMedia the Taciturn. Grrr!

Harlequin: It is clear that your career as Abe Lincoln/Werewolf/author is bound to destroy all those in your path. I LOL’d again after reading your post. Dammit!

NoGoodAtCoding: Ha, ha – sweet! Btw, your blog is very intriguing. Bribes and the ability to “tryout” new dress models? I’m moving to India. You clinched it. :)

And Felonious Tub: You have a rockstar name. The fact that you just thought of that out of the blue is all sorts of rad. It almost makes it better really. And if you happen to cause a GTA style crime spree you’ll be all set for the pokey.

7. AvatarNdogg 550

Jesus. I feel like a complete tool. Having the name Nate growing up spawned my generic nicname of Nate Dogg.

It was all fine and dandy being Nate as a young lad, and then Warren G and Nate Dogg, being the Regulators that they are, had to come out with that damn song (which is not entirely awful), and there has been no escaping it ever since. A number of times, I have honestly introduced myself as Nate, and the first reply has been “alright, nice to meet you Nate Dogg”.

*Sigh* the worst thing is that I am generally sooo opposed to conformity of any sort, or just going along with things.

Perhaps I should switch to one of the demasculating nicknames my fiance calls me as a joke. At least you all would get a kick out of it….

From now on, my name is Patchy the Pirate (in reference to my basic inability to grow a full beard by any means).

Yarr, tis a wonderful morn’ and Patchy be getting back to work!

-n

8. Avataradmin

Patchy the Pirate?! That is harsh. ROTFL! :D

9. AvatarFuzzle

I love your work! Hope you’re able to keep it going!

My nickname was inspired by a video game – I can’t remember the name anymore, but I do remember that if you rescued fuzzles within the game, they would remain loyal to you and chew on your enemies. Like tribbles with razor sharp teeth and lots of ‘em.

I believe the game you’re thinking of is Oddworld on the Xbox.

11. AvatarCometh

Nice comic. Nice work. You did it all by yourself??? Cool….

12. Avataradmin

Thanks Fuzzle and Cometh! ( Felonious plus twenty XP with the great assist.)

Has anyone else played Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath? What a stellar game that is very overlooked.

Sad to see that the Oddworld universe is at the best on hold. Lorne Lanning is now working on producing a game and CG version of his new project, Citizen Siege. Info on its 2009 release is considerably lacking so far.

13. Avatarlukxiufung

Hi there, PR 5! :P
    I am going to create my comic soon. But still draft for the character now. What software you are using now? I am using Illustrator. But still figuring out how to set the brushes as I still new in this software. YOUR BLOG LOOK BRILLIANT!!!!!! I like your style!!!!

14. Avataradmin

Heh, thanks for the comments lukxiufung! (No PR 5 but 4 which makes me amazed!)

I’m using Photoshop exclusively now, but I started off making the comic all in Illustrator. It would’ve been much nicer to make a daily strip as I’d have less drawing…but I always have to take the hard way.

The blog is still in very much in-progress but so far I’m happy it is vaguely functional. Woo! :)

15. Avatarlukxiufung

oh…then can u teach me something about illustrator on how to make brushes or draw comic? Normally I will sketch out and scan into PC and illustrate.

16. Avatarno.good.at.coding

[Been a while but hey, I've been busy!]

You’d be crazy to want to move here! Oh, wait… :D ( no offence! Just a lame attempt at humour :/ )

17. Avatarlukxiufung

Hey, I facing a serious problem with my illustrator. Everytime I want to save my work, it appear this error log. Do you see this before?

buffer overrun detected

Then, the software will be closed automatically without saved!!!!

18. Avataradmin

Hey Lukxiufung -

I did a quick search and someone is having this problem in another program. Doesn’t seem to be a solution but sounds serious.

If you can, I’d reinstall Illustrator because that should not be happening!

19. AvatarCap'n Nobeard

I… Am Cap’n Nobeard. And I… Am a cloud pirate. Guess what? There is no rain. (B-|)~

(that’s a double eye-patch and a lone hair)

In other news…. WHERE ARE THE UPDATES?!

Argh! Ahoy! Avast! Cap’n Nobeard – my sworn enemy of the sky.

I like your squiggly hair.

Hopefully tomorrow we’ll continue the adventure. Agrh! :D ~

21. Avatarmotor home

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on comics.
    Regards

my web page motor home

22. AvatarKellie

Now I am going away to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming ovesr again tto rewd further news.

my webage … range rover p38 becm (Kellie)